Search
Close this search box.
RANIPURA: (1956)
MARY, QUEEN OF THE UNIVERSE

RANIPURA: (1956)

MARY, QUEEN OF THE UNIVERSE 

Address : Ranipura, Munnur P.O.
Via Permannur – 575017

Phone : 6366617844

Email : ranipurachurch@gmail.com
Website : www.ranipurachurch.in

⛪️Catholics : 1901

👨‍👩‍👦 Families : 485

Sub Station : St Antony Chapel, Antonykatte

HISTORY :

Ranipura means Queen’s Town.  Originally this was part of Ullal, later known as Panir parish.  15 acres of land was purchased for the church and  one acre was received as a gift to the church.  Fr Albert D’Sa of Ullal had built the chapel before 1956.

By a decree of April 23, 1956 Bishop Basil Peres carved out two wards from Ullal and formed the parish of Kuthar, now Ranipura.  On May 15, 1956 Ranipura began functioning as an independent parish.  Fr Albert D’Sa became the first parish priest.  During his time the incomplete building served as a  church.  On March 17, 1959 the presbytery was blessed.  There after Fr D’Sa was relieved because of ill-health.  The new church and the presbytery were constructed by Fr Baptist Gasper Pinto who succeeded Fr D’Sa on May 12, 1959, serving Ranipura for 26 years until April 28, 1985.  The work of Regina Coeli Convent was also started during his time.  One acre of church land was donated to the Bethany Sisters.  Fr Richard Noronha constructed the belfry and grotto. 

Ranipura Higher Primary School building was constructed by Fr Baptist Gasper Pinto.
Fr John R. Noronha is the 8th parish priest of Ranipura.

Location: 

 This church is situated at a distance of 15 kms south-east of Mangalore on the other side the Nethravathi river, and is surrounded by Bajal, Nityadar Nagar, Fajir and Permannur parishes.   The church commands a magnificent view of the Nethravathi valley, and of the port and the city of Mangalore.